Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Iron Queen: Ladies and gentlemen, meet the TRUE ASH.


My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stay by my side. Drag me into the core of a conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.



Book Review:

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

5 stars out of 5 (I'd give it an entire galaxy if I could)

WARNING: When you start this book, just take the day off from work or get the kids a babysitter. YOU WILL NOT PUT IT DOWN. I was both completely riveted and couldn’t turn the pages fast enough, and yet I wanted to savor every word, every captivating exchange. This is Julie Kagawa’s best work yet, and that’s saying something because I adored The Iron King and The Iron Daughter. Written with equal parts of romance, witty banter, and action, The Iron Queen is a glistening gem of a book. You’ll never look at a “faery tale” the same again. (And did I mention that gorgeous cover? Won’t that look pretty on your bookshelf next to The Iron King and the The Iron Daughter?)

My favorite part of this book? All things ASH. Julie peels back the icy exterior of Ash and leaves him vulnerable and open. In the beginning of the book after their exile, Meghan says she’s getting a glimpse of the Ash she always knew was there all along. As a true Ash fangirl from the first pages of The Iron King, I wanted to cheer and squeal because that’s what us Ash devotees have been saying about him the whole time. And Julie doesn’t just give us a glimpse of this true Ash—she lets us gaze adoringly for page after page as we truly SEE Ash. He’s tender. He’s devoted. He’s caring. He’s ROMANTIC. AND HE TREMBLES. His love for Meghan tears down the façade, the emotionless mask, and his emotions are laid bare. I cannot wait for everyone to meet the TRUE ASH.

My, my, how Meghan’s grown since those first painful pages of The Iron King. At one point, Ash tells her she’s not the same girl he met when she first came to the Nevernever, that she’s changed, and I agree. It has been a truly beautiful journey to see Meghan grow and change over the course of the three books. She’s become a strong heroine ready to face any threat head on, to fight side by side her loyal companions, and to embrace and exercise her immense power. No more will Meghan shy away or cower and hide—as she tells the false king’s messenger, she’s going to take the fight to him.

And the ending? I can’t remember the last time I cried reading a book. It was probably when I was 12 and Beth died in Little Women. Maybe I’ve just read too many books and have become jaded, but not only did Julie have me crying, I was WEEPING. Tears were streaming down my face. Ash’s words to Meghan at the end? Is there anything more romantic in literature? Julie’s writing pulls at all of your emotions.

Stunning from start to finish, Julie Kagawa’s Iron King series is the most riveting, most captivating faery series I’ve ever read (and with the explosion of young adult paranormal romances, I’ve read about A LOT of faeries lately). The concept of the Iron fey is original and compelling, and Julie uses her immense creativity to create a world and characters that draw you in, hold onto your heart, and take you on an awe-inspiring journey. Go on—immerse yourself in this enchanting world.

If you haven’t experienced this series yet, I highly recommend it. And that’s what it is—an experience. It will touch all of your emotions. You’ll FEEL true love, heartbreak, humor, friendship, sorrow, and suspense. I laughed, I cried, and I savored the romance. This book will haunt you…you’ll be thinking about it long after you turn the last page. How long until The Iron Knight is released?

As a footnote to my review, I just want to rave about the sensational Julie Kagawa. She is so gracious to her fans and treats us like true friends. Some authors seem to act like the fans are just a bother, but Julie is so kind and thoughtful to our league of Ash and Puck devotees. I mean, how many authors write an entire novella (“Winter’s Passage”) and let their readers devour it for free??? How many authors post juicy, delightful teasers EVERY WEEK for their fans? Julie Kagawa is full of awesomeness.

1 comment:

  1. Saw this on Goodreads and it filled me with warm fuzzies. ^___^

    Thanks so much, Gemma!

    ReplyDelete